As the summer break comes to an end, and the back-to-school season approaches, it’s time to prepare for another school year. However, this time of year also coincides with the return of cold and flu season. Cold and flu viruses are transmitted through respiratory droplets and touching contaminated surfaces. With kids at school in close proximity to each other most of the day, if one gets sick, so will many others. And they bring that home to you!
Reminding your kids to wash their hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before eating, after using the restroom, and after coughing or sneezing and cover their nose and mouth with a tissue or their elbow when coughing or sneezing are simple yet effective ways to help prevent cold and flu. But there are also things that you can do to boost immune system and stay healthy this year. Here are our top recommendations:
1. Limit Exposure to Sick Individuals
If you know someone in their school environment is sick, advise your child to avoid close contact with them to minimize the risk of infection. This will help it not come home to you. Similarly, if your child is feeling unwell or showing signs of a cold or flu, keep them at home until they have fully recovered.
2. Get Enough Sleep
Adequate sleep is crucial for a strong immune system. Ensure that both you and your child gets the recommended hours of sleep promote overall well-being and immunity.
3. Strengthen The Immune System With Nutrition
A well-balanced diet can boost the immune system and help fight off infections. Include plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins in their meals. Foods rich in vitamin C, such as oranges, strawberries, and bell peppers, are particularly helpful in supporting immune health.
4. Boost The Immune System With Supplements
The right supplements can give the immune system the boost it needs to fight off or reduce the effects of a cold or flu virus. For adults we always recommend the following:
- Vitamin D Shots. Vitamin D has been shown to help the immune system fight viruses and bacteria. It is also known to help prevent respiratory tract infections. This is a great practice to implement at the start of every school semester.
- Mega Immune Shots. Vitamin C, Zinc & Glutathione to boost & strengthen the immune system. Very helpful if you notice a cold or flu coming on!
- Viracid. Viracid is a daily supplement that includes a powerful combination of key nutrients and botanical extracts that provide immune system support. Includes nutrients such as L-lysine vitamins A and C, pantothenic acid, B12, and zinc and a synergistic blend of botanical extracts black elderberry, astragalus, echinacea, and andrographis, all of which have been used traditionally for their clinically effective immune- modulating properties. We recommend packing these with young adults going off to college!
5. Stay Hydrated
Encourage your family to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Proper hydration supports the body’s immune function and helps flush out toxins.
We also offer IV Hydration specifically formulated to help with cold, flu and other viruses. The Pre & Post Viral IV Drip will boost your immune system before you start feeling sick AND get you back on track if you do get sick. Contains B-Complex, Vitamin C, B6, Zinc, & Selenium. 500ml IV Fluids. Add Vitamin D or Glutathione for extra boost.
As kids prepare to head back to school, preventing cold and flu should be a top priority. By promoting a healthy lifestyle, properly supplementing and staying hydrated, we can help us and our families stay healthy. Let’s work together to beat the bugs and help everyone have a happy and healthy throughout the school year.