No need to pass up dessert at this year’s Memorial Day gatherings to stay on target with your weight loss goals! This low-calorie heavenly mixed berry trifle made with fresh summer blueberries and strawberries, white chocolate pudding, angel food cake, and whipped cream from www.skinnytaste.com is a healthier holiday dessert.
Take the traditional angel food cake toppings of berries and whipped cream and layer them in a trifle. Angel food cake is pretty light since there are no butter or egg yolks in it. And of course, the trifle is full of fresh fruit. Using store-bought angel food cake makes this dessert quick and easy to prepare. You can use a box mix or make the cake from scratch if you prefer. Whatever you decide, this strawberry blueberry trifle will be fabulous!
You can do a lot of the prep for the trifle the night before you serve it. Cut the cake, wash your berries, and make your pudding filling ahead of time. I’d wait to slice the strawberries the day of so they stay fresh. I wouldn’t layer the trifle too soon before your event because the cake could get soggy.
- 10 oz angel food cake, cut into 1-inch cubes*
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- 2 pints blueberries
For The Cream Filling
- 6 tbsp fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 1-ounce package white chocolate or cheesecake instant pudding mix, fat-free, sugar-free
- 12 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed (a healthy option is TruWhip)
- Whisk the condensed milk and water in a bowl.
- Whisk in the pudding mix for 2 minutes.
- Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set; fold in the whipped topping.
- Arrange half of the cake in the bottom of a 14-cup trifle dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with a layer of blueberries.
- Spread half of the cream mixture over the blueberries and gently spread.
- Top with a layer of strawberries.
- Layer the remaining cake cubes on top of the strawberries, then add more blueberries and top with the remaining cream mixture.
- Finish with the remaining strawberries and blueberries, arranging them in a pretty pattern.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one 1 hour.